Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Florida-Friendly Landscaping in Hernando County

Florida Yards and Neighborhoods is a program developed by the University of Florida. It was launched through UF Extension Offices throughout the state. The program promotes 9 principles:

1. Right Plant, Right Place
2. Water Efficiently
3. Fertilize Appropriately
4. Mulch
5. Attract Wildlife
6. Manage Yard Pests Responsibly
7. Recycle
8. Reduce Stormwater Runoff
9. Protect the Waterfront

The program's name was later changed to Florida-Friendly Landscaping.

Hernando County has funded the Florida-Friendly Landscaping program for about 14 years. It started out in the Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service, and was co-funded by the state and SWFWMD. The program is now completely funded by Hernando County Utilities Department.

My name is Lilly Browning, and I am the Hernando County Florida-Friendly Landscaping Program Coordinator. I have been involved with the program since its inception in Hernando County. I was privileged to work with County Extension for 12 years as an assistant to the Horticulture Agent as well as with Agriculture and Family and Consumer Sciences. I earned a certification as a Florida Master Gardener during that time. I worked closely with all of the Hernando County Master Gardeners and had the best teachers in the world! I went to the College of Central Florida and was trained in Horticulture Technology. I have always believed in the Florida-Friendly Landscaping Program principles, because they are simple, authentic ways in which we can all be better stewards of our little piece of Earth. When the position became open, I jumped at it, and was thrilled to be offered this opportunity to train and teach others about Florida-Friendly Landscaping.  I have lived in Hernando County for 36 years and have witnessed phenomenal changes. I raised my family here, and I am vested in this community. I look forward to sharing Florida-Friendly Landscaping with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment